At Alleghenies Surgical, we are not just about weight loss surgery. Our surgeons also perform many other general surgical procedures.
General surgery is a specialty covering a wide range of problems and surgical procedures. Typical evaluations would be for abdominal pain, hernias, tumors or growths, abnormalities found on X-ray studies, and a large variety of others. General surgical procedures include gallbladder removal, hernia repairs, colon operations, appendectomies, removal of skin lesions and growths, lymph node removal, chemotherapy catheters, operations on the stomach and intestines, colonoscopies and upper endoscopies (stomach and esophagus) and many more. If you have any questions about a problem, feel free to call our office (814-467-4750). If we do not take care of the problem you are having, we can direct you to a physician who does!
Many procedures can be performed in the surgeon’s office or as an outpatient. Some operations may require inpatient hospitalization. Either way, our concern is making the operative experience safe and effective for you.
Laparoscopic surgery, also referred to as minimally invasive surgery, is the performance of surgical procedures with the assistance of a video camera and several thin instruments. During this surgical procedure, small incisions are made and plastic tubes called trocars are placed through these incisions. The camera and the instruments are then introduced through the trocars which allow access to the internal organs.
The camera transmits an image of the organs inside the abdomen onto a television monitor. The surgeon is now able to see into the patient without the traditional large incision. The video camera becomes a surgeon’s eyes in laparoscopic surgery, since the surgeon uses the image from the video camera to perform the procedure. Many innovations in instrumentation have allowed a wide range of procedures to be done laparoscopically.
Many patients are able to recover from laparoscopic in a fraction of the time that open procedures require. In fact, some return to work in little more than a week. There is also a lower chance of wound complications such as infection and hernia.
Benefits of minimally invasive or laparoscopic procedures include:
- less postoperative discomfort since the incisions are much smaller
- quicker recovery times
- shorter hospital stays
- earlier return to full activities
- much smaller scars
- there may be less internal scarring when the procedures are performed in a minimally invasive fashion compared to standard open surgery
Common Laparoscopic Surgery Procedures
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gall bladder)
- Laparoscopic appendectomy
- Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair (groin)
- Laparoscopic weight loss surgery
- Laparoscopic abdominal and complex hernia repair
- Laparoscopic colon and rectal surgery
- Laparoscopic spleen surgery
- Laparoscopic adrenal surgery
- Laparoscopic gastric surgery (stomach)
- Laparoscopic fundoplication for the treatment of heartburn (reflux, GERD, hiatal hernia)
- Many other procedures can be performed either partially or completely laparoscopically
Feel free to call us to see if your surgery can be done laparoscopically (814-467-4750).